The Oscar nominations were just announced this morning. As usual, here are my random thoughts:
- I’ve seen every Best Picture nominee, except for The Kids are Alright and Winter’s Bone. I will try to see those two before the ceremony.
- James Franco becomes the first Oscar host in recent memory to also have a Best Actor nomination.
- I’m a bit suprised Ryan Gosling didn’t get a Best Actor nomination for Blue Valentine, though Michelle Williams did.
- The Academy gives a lot more love to the Coen Brothers, than the HPFA do (True Grit has the second-highest number of nominations).
- Incendies recieved a Best Foreign Film nomination! See it if you haven’t yet.
- For the first time in recent years, every Best Song nominee is unique
- There are ZERO nominations for Burlesque or The Tourist (thank God)
I have to say that there are no major surprises with the nomniees. I still think the Best Picture race will be between The King’s Speech (leading with 12 nominations) and The Social Network (tied with Inception in third with 8 nominations), though the 10 nominations for True Grit also throws it right into the thick of things.
There is only a little over a month until the Oscars on February 27. Let the race begin!