This year with the help of the Official Oscar iPhone/iPod Touch app, I was able to quickly and conveniently make my Oscar predictions.
Here are my predictions imported directly from the app, with a few additional comments by me.
Best Picture: The King’s Speech , Iain Canning, Emile Sherman and Gareth Unwin
A lot of people (especially critics) want The Social Network to win, however I don’t really get its Best Picture appeal (though I agree it’s a very good film). I’m going with what is essentially the people’s choice, The King’s Speech, to win the big one.
Directing: The King’s Speech, Tom Hooper
If The Social Network wins any major Oscars, it would be for directing, since I believe the point of the film’s whole awards run was the coronation of David Fincher. However, the only thing that throws a wrench into that plan is that Tom Hooper won the Director’s Guild award (and they are rarely ever wrong).
Writing (Original Screenplay): The King’s Speech, Screenplay by David Seidler
I think Inception might have a shot here as well, however I’m playing it safe and picking The King’s Speech.
Writing (Adapted Screenplay): The Social Network, Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin
This one is pretty much guaranteed.
Actor in a Leading Role: Colin Firth, The King’s Speech
Even when The Social Network took the early lead in the awards race, this was the constant win for The King’s Speech. I see no change here.
Actor in a Supporting Role: Christian Bale, The Fighter
I would personally pick Geoffrey Rush for the win, however the academy likes to award method acting.
Actress in a Leading Role: Natalie Portman, Black Swan
This one is pretty much a shoe-in and the world can forget that Natalie Portman became famous through Star Wars.
Actress in a Supporting Role: Melissa Leo, The Fighter
From what I hear, this is not as much of a shoe-in as it used to be and there might be a surprise win in this category (Hailee Steinfeld perhaps). However, I’m sticking with Leo for my prediction.
Well those are the major categories. Here are the rest of my predictions:
- Short Film (Animated): Day & Night, Teddy Newton
- Documentary (Feature): Waste Land, Lucy Walker and Angus Aynsley
- Short Film (Live Action): The Confession, Tanel Toom
- Documentary (Short Subject): Killing in the Name,
- Film Editing: The Social Network, Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter
- Sound Editing: Inception, Richard King
- Foreign Language Film: Biutiful, Mexico
- Sound Mixing: Inception, Lora Hirschberg, Gary A. Rizzo and Ed Novick
- Makeup: The Wolfman, Rick Baker and Dave Elsey
- Visual Effects: Inception, Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Andrew Lockley and Peter Bebb
- Music (Original Score): The Social Network, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
- Animated Feature Film: Toy Story 3, Lee Unkrich
- Art Direction: Inception, Production Design: Guy Hendrix Dyas, Set Decoration: Larry Dias and Doug Mowat
- Cinematography: Inception, Wally Pfister
- Music (Original Song): We Belong Together (from “Toy Story 3”), Music and Lyric by Randy Newman
- Costume Design: Alice In Wonderland, Colleen Atwood