Well, I would say that I had a fulfilling Hot Docs experience for my second year of attending the festival. I ended up seeing a final total of 13 films during the week, which was very good when you consider the fact that I only saw a single film last year.
This year was the debut of the proper home for Hot Docs, in the form of the refurbished Bloor Cinema, and it was appropriately the venue where I saw the most films. However, at the same time, Hot Docs lost a cinema with the Cumberland, which suddenly announced it was closing its doors.
Now’s the time I list my favourite films and moments of the festival. I will also include a slideshow of the many photos I took during the festival.
- Her Master’s Voice
- The Imposter
- Beauty is Embarrassing
- The Queen of Versailles
- The Job
- Herman’s House
- Meeting Wayne White at Meet & Greet following screening of Beauty is Embarrassing.
- Her Master’s Voice Q&A, with BOTH Nina Conti and “Monkey”
- Getting a free hot dog in the line-up for Finding Truelove
- The umpteenth time I had to watch the ultra-cheesy Documentary channel “supports me like a bra” advertisement during the pre-show reel.
- Bloor Hot Docs Cinema – 6
- Cumberland Cinema – 3
- Isabel Bader Theatre – 2
- TIFF Bell Lightbox – 1
- ROM Theatre – 1