Well, we have arrived at the date of the 2016 Canadian Screen Awards. The broadcast gala will be airing on CBC television at 8:00PM EST and I will be tuning in to see which Canadian films will win the big awards. I should note that I updated my nominee refresh post from last week to include My Internship in Canada, which I managed to watch during the week. Now, I will make my best effort to predict how the awards will turn out.
Best Picture: Room
Of the five nominated films that I have seen, I like Sleeping Giant the best. However, I believe that this award will be Room‘s to lose. Not only did the film win the People’s Choice Award back at TIFF, but the Canadian film industry sure loves a good success story and Room was most definitely successful in its own right.
Achievement in Direction: Lenny Abrahamson, Room
As weird as it would be to see an Irish director win this award, I don’t see it going to any other of the nominees (other than perhaps Sleeping Giant‘s Andrew Cividino)
Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Christopher Plummer, Remember
This is a tough one, especially since I’ve only seen two of the nominated performances. I am going to go out on a whim and choose Christopher Plummer to pick this one up.
Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Irdens Exantus, My Internship in Canada
Having watched the film just this past week, I can say the titular over-eager Haitian intern of My Internship in Canada is without a doubt, the standout performance of the film.
Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Brie Larson, Room
It is pretty much a given that Brie Larson will likely be receiving one more award for her shelf.
Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Joan Allen, Room
I’ve only seen one of these performances, so I’m just going to pick that one.
Original Screenplay: My Internship in Canada
I would say that My Internship in Canada stands out among the films nominated.
Adapted Screenplay: Room
This is pretty much a no-brainer.
Best Feature Length Documentary: Hurt
I haven’t seen Alan Zweig’s Hurt, but I’ve heard great things.
Well, that wraps my my predictions of the major film awards. Here are the rest of my predictions:
- Achievement in Art Direction: The Forbidden Room
- Achievement in Cinematography: Hyena Road
- Achievement in Costume Design: Beeba Boys
- Achievement in Editing: Hyena Road
- Achievement in Make-Up: Backcountry
- Achievement in Music – Original Score: Brooklyn
- Achievement in Music – Original Song: Martin Léon – Our Loved Ones – “Red and Yellow”
- Achievement in Overall Sound: Hyena Road
- Achievement in Sound Editing: The Forbidden Room
- Achievement in Visual Effects: Hyena Road
- Best Cinematography in a Feature Length Documentary: Last of the Elephant Men
- Best Editing in a Feature Length Documentary: The Amina Profile
- Best Short Documentary: The Little Deputy
- Best Live Action Short Drama: Blue Thunder
- Best Animated Short: The Ballad Of Immortal Joe