Awards season has officially begun with the announcement of nominees for the 74th annual Golden Globes. Every year, this bunch of awards handed out by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association treads a fine line between being a predictor for the Oscars and being a populist joke. Every year has some nominees that leave you scratching your head and this year is no exception. So, without further ado, here are my random thoughts on the nominees.
- Probably the Best Picture nomination that stands out the most is Deadpool getting a nod for Best Picture Comedy/Musical (which is always the most random category). Ryan Reynolds also got a Best Actor nomination in the same category.
- Very happy to see a nomination for Sing Street in the Comedy/Musical category, even though I’m pretty sure this one is La La Land‘s to lose.
- Only seen two of the Best Picture – Drama nominees, so I have some catching up to do.
- Other than the aforementioned Ryan Reynolds nomination, nothing really stands out in the acting categories, which features all the usual subjects.
- I know that Dev Patel doesn’t appear in Lion until halfway through the film, but he is undoubtedly the lead of the film and NOT a supporting actor
- You know that diversity hasn’t caught on yet when five men are nominated for Best Director, with only one of them being non-white.
- My Life as a Zucchini stands out like a sore thumb in the Best Animated Film nominees
- I’ve seen one of the Foreign nominees and will probably see another by the time the Globes air
- This is actually one of the better years for Best Song nominees. I doubt the Oscars will be that different.