We are just a few hours away, so it’s time to get my Oscar predictions out of the way.
Best Picture – Parasite
While this prediction is a bit of a gamble, I have my fingers crossed that this will be the year that the Academy Awards finally crosses the language barrier.
Directing – Bong Joon-Ho, Parasite
This one is a little more certain than the Best Picture win, but this is also a bit of a gamble.
Writing (Original Screenplay) – Bong Joon-Ho, Parasite
While I would also love it if Rian Johnson wins for Knives Out, I think that Parasite‘s screenplay winning is the safer choice.
Writing (Adapted Screenplay) – Taika Waititi, Jojo Rabbit
If Jojo Rabbit wins for anything, it will be for the screenplay.
Actor in a Leading Role – Joaquin Pheonix, Joker
This win has been all for a sure thing for quite some time.
Actor in a Supporting Role – Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
While I would argue that Brad Pitt is one of the leads in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, his performance was definitely one of the high points of that film.
Actress in a Leading Role – Renee Zellweger, Judy
While the thoughts of Judy as a whole have somewhat cooled over the months, the Academy always loves to celebrate both a comeback story and playing another famous person on screen.
Actress in a Supporting Role – Laura Dern, Marriage Story
This is another win that is all but certain.
Well, those are my predictions for the major categories. Here are the rest (with there being a lot more guesswork this year than previous years):
- Short Film (Animated): Dcera (Daughter)
- Short Film (Live Action): Brotherhood
- Documentary Feature: Honeyland
- Documentary Short Subject: St. Louis Superman
- Film Editing: Parasite
- Sound Editing: Ford v Ferrari
- Sound Mixing: Ford v Ferrari
- International Feature Film: Parasite
- Makeup and Hairstyling: Bombshell
- Visual Effects: The Irishman
- Music (Original Score): Joker, Hildur Guðnadóttir
- Music (Original Song): “In the Unknown” from Frozen 2
- Animated Feature Film: Klaus
- Production Design: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
- Cinematography: 1917
- Costume Design: Little Women