Last night was the first of two special “Summer Screening” nights for the Toronto After Dark Film Festival. This series provides a sample of the Toronto After Dark experience in anticipation for the full festival, which runs this year from October 18-26.
The first film screened was a special presentation of a film that I regretted not seeing when it played last September at the Toronto International Film Festival – Juan of the Dead. The film is a Cuban zombie comedy, which, like Shaun of the Dead, has a name that is play on George R. Romero's most popular zombie film Dawn of the Dead.
- Both are named after the title character.
- The title character of both has a somewhat overweight best friend
- Both films feature a comedic use of violence (especially in the initial zombie encounter)
- Both films feature the title character checking on a loved one (Shaun's ex-girlfriend, Juan's daughter)
- Most humorously, both feature a highly choreographed zombie fight.
10 | LOVED IT